Annual Meeting Minutes
Sunday, March 12, 2014
- Participants: Tom Bailey, Carolyn Bujak, Tom Bujak, Lee Colley, Joe Cook, Suzanne Day, Jimmy Griffin, Stephanie Judson, Nick Kakaroukas, Louisa Khanlian, Bennett Landsman, John Obuchowski, Sandy Rea, Michael Robinson, Jonathan Snipes, Sam Snipes, Marion Snipes, Lily Taylor, Peter Taylor, Mike Zickler.
- 2013 Annual Meeting Minutes: the draft Minutes were distributed, reviewed and approved with one change proposed by Stephanie. Under item 5, the words “Since none of the property owners were at the meeting” should be deleted.
- Officers and Executive Board members: the current Treasurer, Carolyn Bujak, will be replaced by Lily Taylor. Carolyn will assume the position of Secretary, replacing Chuck Mattern. Several Executive Board members whose terms expired in 2013, including Suzanne, Kitty and Takashi, were approved for another 2 years. Mike Z. contacted Larry Tatum after the Meeting to ask if he wished to be renewed, and he does. Peter Taylor was approved to join the Executive Board. The web site will be updated to reflect the approved changes.
- Web Site: Joe Cook provided a status report on the website. All necessary charges have been paid for another year. There is plenty of capacity for more photos and members are encouraged to submit them to Joe. Tom Bujak will provide a link to relevant Library of Congress photos. A link to the Facebook page created by Van Richards can be added. A suggestion by Bennett to include photos of the residences along the river was discouraged because of privacy concerns. Joe will investigate the use of PayPal on the website to accept dues and contributions.
- Treasurers Report: Carolyn provided a handout showing the current assets and expenses for the year. A discussion of alternate investment options to Certificates of Deposit was held, including Friends Fiduciary, Vanguard and other possibilities. A motion was approved to invest the CD funds and some portion of the savings with Friends Fiduciary in their Green Fund socially responsible option for one year, and re-evaluate after that. The new Treasurer, Lily Taylor, will work with Carolyn to affect the necessary paperwork with the bank and FF. It was pointed out that if our assets go beyond $50,000 there will be increased reporting requirements, so we need to be aware of that.
- MOU – the draft MOU provided by NJNLT was discussed. Based on a review by Amy Taylor Brooks, who is a lawyer, there does not seem to be any benefit to FTWP in it (although the language is very similar to the original version.) She will draft some proposed changes for submission to them. For example, could they retain control of maintenance for the berm on their parcel ?
- Funds for equipment rental-a discussion on improving the condition of the berm to protect the property from future flooding was held. In order to do it most effectively, rental of some construction equipment (Bobcat type) may be necessary. A motion authorizing up to $5000 for rental was approved, and members of the Executive Board will meet to coordinate the work to be done.
- Funds for equipment purchase – in order to provide adequate maintenance of the trails and property, it will be necessary to purchase the proper type of equipment. A motion was approved authorizing up to $3000 for purchase of chain saws, weed whackers, and other power tools for use by FTWP volunteers during the year.
- Grant from Audubon- a grant application to the Washington’s Crossing Audubon Society for additional viewing platforms was approved by them, and a check for $1516 has been received. We need to schedule work parties to purchase materials and construct them, and provide a report to the Audubon club at their October 20 2014 meeting.
- Signage – there are still instances of vandalism, trespass, illegal dumping, etc. occurring at too frequent intervals. There was a suggestion that additional signs at strategic locations could help deter this activity and provide more support from the local police. A motion was approved to spend up to $1000 for signs to be purchased and installed. Members of the Executive Board and property owners will meet to design these signs. It was pointed out that the south border of the property is particularly porous and needs to be protected better.
- Truck donation – someone has volunteered to donate a 4 wheel drive vehicle for use on the property, which was accepted with appreciation.
- Newsletter – Lily Taylor has volunteered to coordinate publication of the newsletter for 2014. She will be assisted by ad hoc members who will write up particular stories of interest to be included.
- Snow plowing – a written agreement has been found by Peter Taylor that addresses the conditions the Water company agreed to when the easment was originally negotiated. He will follow up on this with the Water company, and there is currently no need for FTWP to be involved.
- Hunting – deer hunting is under control and coordinated by John Obuchowski. He agreed to identify deer tree stands that are actively used by authorized hunters. Any stands not marked will be candidates for removal. Tom Bailey will try to get names of additional beaver trappers, as we agreed there is a need to try harder to get beavers under control in the future.
- Cleanup days and bird walk - we need to get these scheduled for the year. Members of the Executive Board agreed to coordinate on getting appropriate dates and trip leaders.